So you decided to do a triathlon, you chose the distance and joined a tri club in your area, a run club and/or a masters swim group to get prepared. Now to have a good training/racing experience you need to have the right equipment for swim, bike & run.
Most local sports shop in UAE stock high quality swim equipment and gear from Speedo, Arena to name a few. Your local sports shop can help you choose between the countless numbers of:
- Tri suits
- Swim training equipment suitable to your level (e.g. pull buoys, kick boards, parachutes… etc.)
- Swim watch or triathlon watch that counts your laps, track your activity and monitor your progress.
Also, you can chat to your Tri Club buddies and coaches to hear about their experiences using specific equipment for training/racing.
You can approach your local bike shop to get professional advice on:
- Bike frame (tri vs. road)
- Frame size
- Helmet that fits you properly
- Seat height and tilts angle
- Saddle suitable for you
- Pedals and cycling shoes
- Cassette & crank for your riding style and targeted race
- Your overall position on the bike
- Bike maintenance
- Tri suits
- Cycling computer or triathlon watch to track your rides and monitor progress.
If you’re overwhelmed by the number of options available in the market go to your nearest sports goods shop and get and advice on the following:
- Gait analysis to identify your running style so you narrow down the runners’ options to what suits your stride (heel-, midfoot- or forefoot-runner).
- Running watch or triathlon watch to track your training & racing metrics.
Now that you are equipped and have all essentials covered, go out there enjoy the training/racing knowing that you have the right gear for you.
Certified Ironman Coach
ASCA Level 3 Swim Coach