We all know the fact that relationships are hard. Cohabitating, being patient and kind, and putting someone else’s needs ahead of your own aren’t always easy to do and can come with their share of stress.
Fitness has countless health benefits, but one thing you may not realize is its ability to bring you closer as a couple and make life together better.
My wife and I started our joint fitness journey after we started dating. We have fun running, training, sweating together, engaging in our mutual #fitfam community, and watching our bodies enjoy the rewards of hard work and commitment.
Here are a few rules and ways that sharing fitness with your partner can improve your relationship:
- Join a Fitness First Club – you’ll surely spend more quality time together
You really need a place to train, the key is to join a gym that is convenient to where you live or work (so lucky that I work in Fitness First Platinum Club in Golden Mile and it’s near to my wife’s work too) so that you never have an excuse to miss any of your sessions and it has the all the amenities you need. For my wife and I, our favorite moments together are spent in sneakers, whether sweating it out at the gym or running on the road. Good thing that downstairs from Fitness First Platinum in Golden Mile there’s an awesome running track!
- Get a training partner – you’ll be a happier partner
This is when you’re expecting that I will recommend you getting a personal trainer, for my wife she’s lucky she has me! If you’re not as lucky as my wife, then I would recommend that you partner up with a personal trainer, especially here in Fitness First we have highly qualified trainers, it would really be ideal if you have one alongside on achieving your fitness goals. Learn from the experts and do your due diligence.When you’re working out, the body triggers cells to release endorphins or happy hormones, the magic little hormones that block the transmission of pain signals and produce a euphoric feeling. That gives you that post-workout glow? You’re not imagining it. Right? Plus, people who stick to a fitness plan feel the pride that comes with accomplishing goals. This confidence can boost your relationship by contributing to of course a greater sense of mutual well-being, not just keeping you stronger but also keeping the relationship on fire.
- Join group classes – you’ll make like-minded friends and share a sense of communityLots of couples, especially those who work in different careers, have two sets of friends that don’t have a ton in common. Yet couples who build fitness into their lives often find that they build a shared friend base, which can be really fun and rewarding. Try joining some group classes at Fitness First, hitting the same after-work boot camp, circuit classes, Body Pump, 6D or FIT 4:15 class a few days per week as a duo. For sure you’ll have fun!
- Follow a clean diet- you’ll appreciate each other’s bodies more
A fit body is awesome, but there’s actually nothing more attractive than knowing your partner has dedicated themselves diligently to a fitness routine all week. It makes you feel proud of each other and reminds you of all the great attributes that made you fall in love in the first place. To ensure that you’ll benefit from all of your couple training, your diet needs to be on point, clean and balanced. You should also ensure that you consume enough water so that your body is hydrated especially during your workouts.
- Get some rest – you’re chemistry will improveBe sure to get enough rest so that your body could recuperate from all the awesome training that you did during the week. Because if you don’t, it may result to not-so-enjoyable consequences, like diminished strength, irritability or what not. But you know what? There will be no doubt that the fruits of your labor will be evident. Not only will you both feel better about yourselves (which is half the battle) but your chemistry will surely be turned up a notch as your bodies continue to change. Plus, your shared increase in happy hormones or endorphins will help in keeping you happier as a couple!
Couples that SWEAT and TRAIN together, stay SWEET and FIT forever!
Red Bantilo, RN, CPT
Platinum Personal Trainer
For more health and fitness tips download our FREE fitness e-book with tips on how to reach your goals, nutrition and wellness advice, fitness and training information, tips on tracking progress and a weight-loss and lean muscle building FREE fitness program!